Sunday, December 23, 2007

12/22/2007

Well, December 22nd marks 7 months since Caitlyn was diagnosed. We were told she had 6 to 9 months to live. They say the holiday season is a time to reflect on the past year and be thankful for all you have. Well, I never truly lived those words until this year. I sit back and think of the roller coaster ride we have been on since May 22nd and I am so thankful that none of us has fallen off the ride. It has been trying on our faith, hope, and courage. Of course we are thankful that Caitlyn is still with us however we could not have gotten this far if we had not been given the gift that we were not even aware of needing. That being the strength to continue to live, while faced with the unthinkable. That is truly a gift from God. With out the courage and faith that God will lead us where we need to go we would be lost.
Caitlyn is doing well, we are having a great holiday season. The kids are having fun and the fact that Caitlyn is doing so well makes everything seem normal. Last Monday she had another round of her Chemo and is doing well. Other then a rash on her arm where the injection is and some nausea for a few days after treatment she is handling it well. Of course I always wonder about the drugs we are putting in her body and is it doing more harm then good since it is a trial. However it is giving us precious quality time with her and clinically speaking she is doing great. She will have another MRI January 14th. I no longer look forward to the MRI's as they can only bring your hope down. I look at her and I feel positive, hopeful, and courageous because that is what SHE IS showing me.
All of this has changed the way I listen to the world now. Since cancer has happened into our life's our world is so much quieter now. I can hear things that I did not hear before. I guess that is the gift cancer has given us. It will not beat us and tear us apart it WILL make us stronger even if that is not what it had planed to do.

I hope everyone enjoys their time with their family's this Christmas I know I will. Have a Merry Christmas.

Kara