Monday, July 28, 2008

One hour at a time.

Well, on four weeks to the day of our sweet Caitlyn passing,her brother Jackson broke his two front teeth and split his lip which required only one stitch. It was very hard for me to be in the hospital with Jackson. It's strange to spend a whole year of your life in a hospital trying to save someone and then to all of a sudden not have to go there anymore. I didn't think about how it might feel or that it might be hard. But once we were in the ER Jackson and I both felt it. A sadness in our hearts and a sickness in our stomachs. Once they dismissed us we couldn't get out of their fast enough. Jackson is doing great and the dentist was able to bond his original teeth back on. We will see how long he can keep them on.

These weeks have been hard for us with pangs of sadness coming and going. I am constantly reminding myself that the world does not stop and if I stop it won't bring her back. So I try and move forward everyday. I set aside time each day to sit in her room and read a meditation book on loss.I have found this to help somewhat but I still have my moments and break down.

While Caitlyn was alive we visited the Wellness Place. This is a non-profit cancer resource center for people with cancer or anyone touched by cancer. They have a lot of supportive resources. The boys still meet with Lori Mackey once a week. She helps them explore their feelings about Caitlyn and death through art or anything they are interested in. Sometimes they bring a game to show her. Lori has offered to meet with any of Caitlyn's friends who might be having a hard time with the loss of their dear friend. It might be helpful for them to see other people their age that they know and who knew Caitlyn and are feeling the same way they are. If you are interested in your child doing a group meeting with Lori or single meeting please email me and I will help coordinate this.

Thank you to all who have sent cards. Your love and prayers are very much appreciated.

Kara